Master of Arts in Visual and Critical Studies: Admissions Requirements
The Department of Visual and Critical Studies at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) requires an online application for its Master of Arts (MA) in Visual and Critical Studies program. You will need a valid credit card and current email address in order to complete the form. Please review the following requirements carefully before submitting your application:
- Applications for the fall semester must be submitted no later than February 1. No applications are accepted for the spring semester.
- There is a $90 nonrefundable application fee. The application fee is discounted by 50 percent through December 1.
- You must upload a 500- to 750-word statement of purpose that describes your body of work, and discusses how you came to focus on visual and critical studies at the graduate level. Also discuss future directions or goals for your work, and finally, describe how the Visual and Critical Studies program is suited to your professional goals. Upload your statements of purpose via your ePortfolio
- In addition to your application, you must submit an ePortfolio. Your portfolio should include a 10–20 page critical writing sample that addresses a particular topic in visual and critical studies. Applicants are welcome to submit a portfolio consisting of found images excerpted from newspapers, magazines, film, or TV, accompanied by a written statement contextualizing the selections. Though not required, it is recommended that applicants with backgrounds in studio art or design submit a visual, audio, or related arts portfolio in addition to the required writing sample. Please note: SlideRoom accepts a maximum of 20 media items, including the critical writing sample.
- A current résumé is required to be uploaded in the online application.
You also must submit an official college transcript and two letters of reference for admission into the program. You can ask your references to upload their letter to your online application or mail them directly to the school.
The Department of Visual and Critical Studies may contact some candidates for an interview after all applications have been reviewed. For more information on the application and admissions process, visit the graduate admissions website.
Ready to apply? Complete your online application now.