Master of Arts in Teaching: Admissions Requirements
The Department of Art Education at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) requires an online application for its full-time, 48-credit hour Master of Arts in Teaching program. You will need a valid credit card and current email address in order to complete the form. Please review the following requirements carefully before submitting your application:
- Applications for the fall semester must be submitted by January 15. No applications are accepted for spring semester.
- There is an $80 nonrefundable application fee ($100 for international applications). The application fee is discounted by 50 percent from September 1 through November 30.
- You must upload two 500- to 1,000-word statements of purpose: 1. An autobiographical statement describing formal and informal education in the arts; work experience in the arts; commitment to education, humanitarian, and/or arts advocacy; and artistic accomplishments. 2. A statement of career goals and reasons for applying to the program that describes your work or research, how you arrived at your current focus/body of work, and future directions for your work.
- In addition to your application, you must submit an ePortfolio by 11:59 p.m. (CST) on January 16. Your portfolio should include work that represents your area of highest achievement in an arts profession. For example, studio-based work accompanied by descriptions, creative or scholarly writing, or documentation of art education projects in schools, museums, or community-based settings.
- An interview is required for all applicants to the MA in Teaching program. Once your application has been received, the Art Education Department will contact you to schedule an interview.
You also must submit an official college transcript and two letters of reference for admission into the program. You can ask your references to upload their letter to your online application or mail them directly to the school.
Transferring Between Graduate Programs
(For students who have applied to more than one graduate program, e.g., MA in Art Education and MA in Teaching.) Once you have accepted an offer of admission to a graduate program, you automatically decline acceptance to any other program(s). Requests to transfer from one graduate program to another will only be considered in exceptional cases. Transfer requests are subject to a transcript evaluation by the Program Director or Chair and available program space.
For more information on the application and admissions process, visit the graduate admissions website
Ready to apply? Complete your online application now.