Visual Communication Design: Resources
The extensive and recently renovated department facilities include:
- Undergraduate Studios with Individual/Group Work Stations
- Graduate Studios with Individual/Group Work Stations
- Large Format Scanners
- Black and White Printers and Color Printers
- Black and White Copiers and Color Copiers
- Large Screen Monitors
- Dedicated Apple Computer Lab
- Resource Room (Design Journals, Media, and Publications)
- Service Bureau (Binding, Papers, and Large Format Printing)
- Offset Presses
- Vandercook Presses/Bookbinding Equipment
Freelance, Internships, and Job Placement
In addition, Chicago's vibrant design community offers the opportunity for professional practice in every configuration of studio, media, and project type. Museums, nonprofit organizations, galleries, arts and theater organizations, recognized professional design studios, a thriving business community, and a multicultural patchwork of small economies all feed creative production here.
Freelance projects are posted in the Visual Communication Design Resource Room and design internships are coordinated through the school Co-op office. Students are prepared for professional placement through the course VCD 3009 Professional Practice, a course that addresses portfolio development, résumé writing, interviewing strategies, and job hunting.