The Department of Sound at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) is one of the few sound programs in the nation situated within the context of a fine arts school—an orientation that gives you the freedom to explore hybrid practices, such as hardware hacking, software development, and instrument building in addition to conceptual projects that consider sound outside of a musical context.
Within the Sound department, you will have access to:
- Studios containing a rich array of well-maintained modern and vintage technology, including rare analog synthesizers and multichannel sound playback systems
- Purpose-built facilities for constructional projects and hardware design
- Faculty with diverse backgrounds and international reputations in their field
- The cutting-edge facilities and resources throughout the school
- An extensive visiting artist program
The program's studio offerings are complemented by courses in the history and theory of sonic arts, physics, acoustics, electronics, and traditional musics. And the department’s interdisciplinary focus allows you to study in other departments such asFilm, Video, New Media, and Animation and Art and Technology Studies.
Interested in learning more?
Continue to explore the Department of Sound website to learn more about our curricular offerings, faculty, students, alumni, and more or schedule a tour.