Diversity at SAIC
The School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) is committed to an equitable, just environment where the voices of all our students, faculty, and staff are valued and respected.
The School's Diversity Mission Statement:
The School’s primary purpose is to cultivate a campus designed to encourage the discovery and development of significant ideas and images. The School is, therefore, committed to assembling a diverse community of faculty, students, and staff and to nurturing and creating an environment in which those different perspectives and backgrounds can be heard, valued, and utilized.
In recognition of our community’s efforts toward this mission, SAIC has been awarded the Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award in 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017. Our continued recognition through this national award reflects the School’s ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion across campus.
Diversity & Inclusion Initiatives and Programs include:
- DiversityEdu aims to build your skills in engaging with difference, managing assumptions, recognizing microaggressions and help understanding of your role as a member of a diverse community.This course is required for all incoming students, staff, and faculty.
- The course for students becomes available at the beginning of the semester via Canvas, SAICS learning management software. Your login credentials are the same as your SAIC email. Visit www.saic.edu/crit/canvas for login help and other questions
- The course for staff and faculty via the Bridge learning platform. You can log into the bridge platform using your saic login credentials.
- Please see additional information on required courses for incoming Undergraduate and Graduate student information.
- Faculty Enrichment Lunches (RSVP) to discuss and develop frameworks for creating an inclusive classroom environment.
- Global Encounters, a lunch lecture series to inform and create dialogue around issues that transcend place and deepen our understanding of the world.
- Diversity Infusion Grant (DIG) In order to to broaden, refresh, and further SAIC’s curricular offerings in relation to diversity and inclusion, we have established the Diversity Infusion Grant (DIG), which will support course revisions that include more diverse reading selections, a greater variety of global images, guest speakers on the topic, and diversity-related project assignments. Faculty will receive $1000 three months prior to the term in which the proposed course changes will occur as compensation for prep time.
For more information on the dedicated group of students, faculty, and staff who collectively work toward our diversity goals, see the Diversity Advisory Group page. The Campus Resources, Initiatives, and Events pages include links to offices, programs, and other information that create dialogues, broaden our reach and support the diverse members of our community. As we move forward, we appreciate feedback and inquiries. Email us at email@example.com.