Diversity at SAIC
The School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) is committed to an equitable, just environment where the voices of all our students, faculty, and staff are valued and respected. In recognition of our community’s efforts toward that goal, SAIC has been awarded the Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award in both 2014 and 2015. Our continued recognition through this national award reflects the School’s ongoing commitment to diversity and inclusion across campus.
Initiatives and programs for fall 2016 include:
- DiversityEdu, an online diversity education program, will be rolled out for all students, faculty, and staff during the fall term.
- Continued partnership with the Chicago Freedom School to offer training workshops on campus including "Recognizing Identity, Power, and Oppression." To participate in one of these workshops, sign up here.
- Partnership with the Office of the President and the Visiting Artists Program to present Claudia Rankine: President's Inaugural Distinguished Lecturer and related programs throughout the semester.
- Lunch programs addressing diversity and inclusion concerns and creating converation around equity at SAIC. Sign up to attend for students, for faculty, and for staff.
- Global Encounters, a lunch-lecture series to inform and create dialogue around issues that transcend place and deepen our understanding of the world.
For more information on the dedicated group of students, faculty, and staff who collectively work toward our diversity goals, see the Diversity Advisory Group page. The Campus Resources, Initiatives, and Events pages include links to offices, programs, and other information that create dialogues, broaden our reach, and support the diverse members of our community. As we move forward, we appreciate feedback and inquiries. Email us at email@example.com.