You are here

At SAIC, we believe artists, designers, scholars, and writers are uniquely qualified to provide leadership, creative perspective, and hands-on skill for shaping today's world, as well as contributing to future opportunities. Here, meaning and making have always been inseparable, with critique as a fundamental component of the creative process that provides assessment, new ideas, possibilities, and directions.

Capturing SAIC’s Photography Department

Decade after decade, SAIC's Photography department has grown, always evolving with changing technologies and encouraging students to pursue their own aesthetics and interests.

Performing the Document

SAIC faculty Mark Jeffery discusses his research-based process, the interdisciplinary curriculum at SAIC, and his class Performing the Document.

South Carolina Storyteller

Jonathan Green (BFA 1982) vividly depicts the culture and landscape of the Low Country through his narrative paintings.

Serving Time

SAIC and Jane Addams Hull-House Museum host a dinner and discussion about prison reform centered around the artist group Lucky Pierre's ongoing Final Meals project

Conversations over a Rerouted Lunch

A "rerouted" meal brings together students, faculty, and artists to discuss food systems, lakefront shoals, shipwrecks, and shared human experience

For the Record

SAIC Historic Preservation students document the Junior League of Chicago building for the Library of Congress.

Ale-ma Mater

The founder of Half Acre Beer Company (and SAIC alum) brewed up a seasonal ale to celebrate SAIC’s 150th Anniversary.

Fashion Meets Philanthropy

Eva Danielle Wittels (BFA 2004) runs a successful fashion line and advocates for rescue animals through her campaign, Fashion Tails.

Status Symbols

Luis Gispert appropriates designer logos and hip-hop iconography to address class, consumerism, and subculture

Future Worlds

Equal parts art and anthropology, an SAIC alum’s mixed media installations investigate contemporary culture through future utopias

Intersecting Identities

Alum’s practice explores her experience as a Cambodian refugee in America and a Muslim woman in her Buddhist homeland.

Looking Behind to Move Forward

SAIC alum and Iraqi refugee Wafaa Bilal (MFA 2003) confronts the conflict back home by eliciting participation and challenging perception.

The Hull House Artist

In 1892 SAIC alum and faculty member Enella Benedict founded the Art School at the Hull House.

Artistic Advice

SAIC alum Joe Zucker (DIP 1964, MFA 1966, HON 2013) offers advice to young artists, emphasizing the importance of an arts education that spans varying fields and genres.

Air on the Edges

The alumni duo, Coppice, creates sound sculpture that excites the senses and haunts the imagination.

Authoring Stories

SAIC students and faculty teamed up with Scenarios USA to help Chicago high school students address the issues in their lives.

Supporting Student Voices

Since 1994, SAIC’s Student Union Galleries (SUGs) has helped hundreds of students find a forum for their voices and an outlet for their innovative, challenging work.

Healing Through Art

Richard Casper (BFA 2012), Iraq War veteran and alum, introduces fellow veterans to the healing potential of the arts.

The Charge is Torture

A group of SAIC faculty artists, lawyers, and activists seek to uncover a dark chapter in Chicago and memorialize the victims left behind.